EXPERIENCING GRIEF BOMBS


When you lose a spouse there is an acute feeling of loss that is indescribable. Lots of other losses are tragic but none are the same as the loss of a spouse. The grief that comes with that loss is hard to explain and even harder to imagine. In fact, I can say that from experience because for many years Ned and I lived as though he would die at age 56. After all his father and five generations of men before him had all died at age 56 of a condition that Ned was diagnosed with in his mid- twenties. We lived our lives as if we had a specific time period to experience living and loving each other and we lived it without regret or resentment. It was just the way it was.



In that picture of the future I often tried to imagine what life would be like for me after he was gone. At the time I was sure I knew how things would go. Now I can tell you that this is nothing like what I thought it would be. Nothing at all.



Now, Ned lived to be 68 so we had many more years than first expected and I am grateful for every day we got after his 57th birthday. But even the expectation that I would be left behind did not prepare me for the profound grief I experienced every day after his death. The grief manifested itself in many different ways and it was not always an experience of tears and feeling bad. Sometimes it was just the feeling of loss and being alone in a big empty house.  Sometimes it was the absence of noise and sometimes just a moment when I wanted to share something funny with him and he was not there to listen or ask him a question about something he always handled.



Over the months after his death the acute and consistent feeling of loss and grief began to wane. I was on the pathway to discovering a new normal for my life and no matter how much I missed him, moving forward did not involve thinking of him in almost every moment.



However, to this day there is the phenomenon my friend Leslie called “grief bombs” that drop out of nowhere. They are unexpected moments of profound loss and pain and they seem to come from out of nowhere and explode in the middle of my life. They can be triggered by almost anything and often by the most unexpected things. Most of the time they occur to be so random that I have no idea what triggered them. That does not lessen the pain or soften the blow or slow the onslaught of tears.



When I shared about “grief bombs” with my children they knew exactly what I was talking about. Moments when someone or something just triggers a memory and the missing of that loved one is present, and as real as it was at the time of the loss. It goes away almost as quickly as it came and life goes on as before. I have come to expect the “grief bombs” as momentary expressions of a mixture of joy and pain. Joy at the memory of times passed that are treasured and valued beyond measure and pain at the resurgence of the tearing at the heart that comes with the experience of the loss. I never want to lose either.



As a widow of over six years now, I realize that many think I should be past it now and moving on – and I am. I do not dwell in the loss of my love of almost 50 years but I also do not turn away from the moments that remind me of the joy of loving him, the gift of family we created, the memories shared through a lifetime and the missing it is for me that he is no longer here to hug and talk to and snuggle with under the covers on a winter night.



Grief bombs are my reminder of all that was shared as well as the loss of that life. They are a fact of life and one I expect to experience for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ONSET OF WIDOWHOOD

BEING FOR ONE ANOTHER

REINVENTING EVERYTHING